All That Jazz , 2012
A book published by Agencja Reklamowa Padjas, First Edition
Ryszard Horowitz's images do more than capture the vitality of jazz. They freeze frame the humanity and soul of creative spirits in full flight, affirming their place as messengers of good will. Only one who has witnessed mankind's darkest acts could know to point his camera in their direction. These pictures prevail; they are life itself.
I knew all the American jazz legends here - off the stand as well as on the stand. Their music will always be alive globally but here in Ryszard Horowitz' photographs each comes off the page so that I'm there with them and can actually hear the stories they are telling of their lives through their instruments. Horowitz has made his camera swing with them.
Thank you for honoring the people that got us to this point in our "musical evolution" in the first place. Jazz and Blues and derivative genres have become the most loved and copied music on the planet.
1. My visit with Dave and Iola Brubeck at their Wilton, Connecticut estate on August 17th 2007
2. Dave Brubeck performing his composition” Dziekuje” at the Newport Jazz Festival on August, 2007
1. Idol Gossip (Mulligan) 5:01, form CR(D) 155 Gerry Mulligan’s New Sextet 1967
2. Am I Blue (Akst – Clarck) 5:41 From CR(D) 154, Eddie Condon In Japan with Jimmy Rushing, 1964
3. Pee Wee’s Blues (Russell) 4:11 From CR(D) 154, Eddie Condon In Japan with Pee Wee Russell, 1964
4. Four or Five Times (Gay-Helleman) 5:10 From CR(D) 310, Milt Hinton – Old Man Time with Joe Williams, 1989
5. Sunday (Coots – Gray) 11:10 From CR(D) 123, Buddy Tate and His Buddies with Roy Eldridge, 1973
6. Blues in D Flat (Wilson) 6:15, From CR(D) 150, Teddy Wilson And His All Stars with Harry Sweets Edison, 1976
7. Ain’t Misbehavin’ (Waller – Razaf) 5:05, From CR(D) 117, The Grand Reunion with Ruby Braff, 1972
8. Wherever There’s Love (Condon – Devries) 4:35, From CR(D) 136, The Dave McKenna Quartet with Zoot Sims, 1974
9. Summertime (Gershwin) 5:40, From Ubx Records archive. Stephane Grappelli & Michal Urbaniak Recorded in Paris 1994
10. Romance (Urbaniak) 5:56, From CR(D) I Jazz Love You, Michal Urbaniak & Urbaniak Quartet, Recorded in New York 2002-2003, (c ) 2004
11. Spiritual (Urbaniak) 5:15, From CR(D) I Jazz Love, Michal Urbaniak & Urbaniak Quartet, Recorded in New York 2002-2003, (c ) 2004
12. No Complication (Karolak) 4:35, From (CR(D) n 0200 The Karolak Trio, 1962
13. Rose Room (Hickman – Williams) 6:04, From (CR(D) RCA Victor, United LP Trial Pressing, Wojciech Karolak & All Stars Swingtet, 1958